Honda is celebrating the hard work and dedication of generations of Associates, as the company announced it has built its six-millionth vehicle in Canada. This impressive feat took place during the company's 26th year of Canadian vehicle...
Honda is celebrating the hard work and dedication of generations of Associates, as the company announced it has built its six-millionth vehicle in Canada. This impressive feat took place during the company’s 26th year of Canadian vehicle production in Alliston, Ontario, home to Honda of Canada Mfg.
Honda became the first Japanese automaker to manufacture cars in Canada in 1986 when the company opened the doors of its Alliston, Ontario plant. Since then, Honda of Canada Mfg. has manufactured several models including Honda Accord, Pilot and Ridgeline, as well as Acura EL and CSX vehicles. The plant currently builds CR-V, Canada’s top selling import SUV, as well as the Acura MDX and ZDX models. Alliston also produces the Honda Civic, Canada’s best selling passenger car for 14 consecutive years.
“Nearly 1.7 million Honda Civics have been proudly parked in driveways all over this country,” said Dave Gardner, vice-president, Sales & Marketing, Honda Canada Inc. “Our plant capacity was 50,000 vehicles when we started and we’re now building 390,000 vehicles per year. This growth is the result of hard work and dedication of all the Associates who have worked with us over the years to produce the quality and reliability that Honda customers truly value.”
Honda Canada gives back to the Alliston Community
To mark the six millionth Honda vehicle built in Canada, Honda Canada donated an all-new Honda Civic Sedan to Stevenson Memorial Hospital in Alliston. The car will be used as the centrepiece of a fundraising initiative to support the hospital’s much-needed operating room renovation.
“Stevenson Memorial Hospital is a very important part of the Alliston community and our milestone was made possible through the hard work of so many who live and work in this community,” said Gardner. “On behalf of Honda Canada, I’d like to congratulate the efforts of Honda Associates and hope this donation helps to kick off a new era of care in this community.”
“This donation will play an important role in achieving our fundraising goals for Stevenson Memorial Hospital” said Glenn Rae, Chair, Stevenson Memorial Hospital Foundation “We’re proud to have Honda in our community and honoured to be recipients of a vehicle that was built by the very people that our hospital serves.”
* Honda celebrated its 43rd anniversary in Canada in April 2012
* In November 2011, Honda of Canada Mfg. celebrated its 25th year of production in Canada
* Honda directly employs approximately 4,700 manufacturing and sales Associates coast-to-coast, and
indirectly employs more than 19,000 Canadians through our national dealership networks
* Honda of Canada Mfg. (HCM) produces the Honda CR-V, Civic Coupe, Sedan and Si models,
as well as the Acura MDX and ZDX
* HCM has a production capacity of approximately 390,000 vehicles annually
* In 2011, 51 per cent of Honda Canada’s vehicles sold were made at HCM in Alliston, Ontario. With the
addition of CR-V production at HCM in 2012, more than 70 per cent of Honda vehicles sold in Canada will be
produced at HCM
* The Honda Civic achieved Canada’s top-selling passenger car status in 2011 for the 14th consecutive
year reporting annual sales of 55,090 units
* Honda’s investment exceeds $2.6 billion in Canadian operations and 6 million units produced
* HCM sources approximately $1.1 billion in goods yearly from Canadian suppliers