Auto Service World
Feature   July 1, 2001   by Auto Service World

COVER STORY: Air Filter 101


Mechanic-installed market: Of all vehicles that had air filters replaced at a service outlet, 71% were domestic nameplates and the remaining 29% were import nameplates. Vehicles aged eight to 12 years accounted for the largest market share of mechanic-installed air filters with 34%, followed by new to three years with 20%, four to five years with 19%, six to seven years with 17% and over 12 years with 10%.

Consumers who used mechanics at service outlets to replace air filters were of a higher age profile than the DIY consumers.

DIY market: The DIY segment of the replacement market for air filters was 41%. DIY installation of air filters was above the 33% average of DIY installation across all products analyzed.

Vehicles aged eight to 12 years accounted for the largest market share of DIY air filter replacements with 42%, followed by: over 12 years with 34%, six to seven years with 11%, four to five years with 9% and new to three years with 4%.

Source: DesRosiers Automotive Consultants, AIA 1999 Car Maintenance in Canada Report.


Print this page

Related


Have your say:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*