Richard Childress Racing played host to Clevite Engine Parts and 16 of NASCAR's top engine builders on January 5 and 6 in Welcome, NC during the qualifying round of the Clevite Engine Builder Showdown...
Richard Childress Racing played host to Clevite Engine Parts and 16 of NASCAR’s top engine builders on January 5 and 6 in Welcome, NC during the qualifying round of the Clevite Engine Builder Showdown Mike Maiwald, long time Showdown participant and last year’s runner-up, set a new engine build record along with his build partner Shane Parsnow. The former record of 20 minutes and 26 seconds (held by Danny Lawrence of Richard Childress Racing) was unseated with Maiwald’s new record setting build time of 20 minutes and 20 seconds.
The first round of the Showdown served as a qualifying round, with the eight fastest times advancing to Round 2. Each participating engine builder received a commemorative plaque and $300. The eight fastest times also received a cash award of $1,000 and will advance to the second round of competition. Those builders and their times are as follows:
* Mike Maiwald and Shane Parsnow, Hendrick Engines – 20:20
* Lanny Barnes and Todd Hamm, Richard Childress Racing – 20:36
* Randy Hewitt and Mike Cash, Roush/Yates Engines – 23:22
* Danny Lawrence and Greg Gunnell, Richard Childress Racing – 23:56
* Paul Vanderlaan and Shawn Hughesman, Evernham Engines – 24:36
* Mike Lanci and Jesse Hardee, Ernie Elliott Engines – 24:56
* Tom Karas and Kevin Webber, Hendrick Engines – 26:11
* Ken Swanson and Robert Scott, Bill Davis Racing – 27:09
The final round’s runner-up will receive a cash award of $5,000. The first-place winner will receive a cash award of $20,000 and the title of 2005 Clevite Engine Builder Showdown 2005 Champion. The winning team will also be immortalized alongside past Showdown Champions on the new Randy Dorton Memorial Trophy.